Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A story from AC

The ol’man and ol’ lady have already heard this story, but I thought I would share it with the rest of you.

Several weeks ago, I attend a national conference. Most of you know that I work in the field of Brain Injury Rehabilitation. I chose to attend a session which was led by a Brig. General, stationed at the Pentagon, who is head of Medical Affairs for the Veterans Administration. During her presentation she was expressing such pride for our troops and was filled with such compassion that, hard as I could, I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing. The room was filled with professional colleagues so I tried not to let anyone see the tears. At one point, the General looked me straight in the eyes and nodded her head. After her presentation, I was trying to exit out the back of the room and get to a ladies room. To my surprise, the General was waiting for me at the rear exit. She pulled me aside and asked me my story. I told her about the Old Man. She told me everything would be OK and then wrote her direct line phone number and her e-mail address on a piece of paper for me. She told me that if the Old Man needed anything I was to contact her immediately. I felt, at that moment, that a guardian angel had swept into our lives.

No comments: