Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A letter to the families from the Chaplain

Dear Families, former members, and friends of 1/6,

Just two days ago I saw the mail truck come into Hurricane Point full of mail. Now most of us when we think of a mail truck, we think of something the size of an undersized milk truck. Well, the mail truck here is a 7 ton with a trailer attached to it. Both of these were full of packages to the top when they arrived at our location. I mention this to say thank you for your steadfast support of these outstanding young men. I cannot tell you how much your packages and letters mean to them. Yes, they get email and phone calls, but they value most that which they can hold.

As most of you know by now we have taken some casualties. We hate this part of our callings. We value every Marine’s life and presence on this team. So when we loose one due to injuries or death, it is like a part of us has been ripped out. I also know even greater is the pain for the families to whom these Marines are connected to. While I know God intends for no one to loose life or limb as a result of anger or conflict, he is with us in these hard times. As we hear in the book of Matthew, “Come to me all you who are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me. I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” I hear these words of Jesus, assuring us that we are not alone.

On a brighter note, the holidays are coming quickly upon us, so be sure to get any large mail out to us by November 20th (with a note that says “do not open until Christmas”). Then packages and cards are sure to get here. Stay connected to each other, keep busy, and keep the good news of the home front coming out to us.

We miss you very, very much. We long to be with you, but for now, we are doing our part to protect our home land, and offer freedom to the good people of Iraq.

Sincerely
Chaplain Jamie

No comments: