Monday, January 08, 2007

A letter to the 1/6 family and friends from the 1/6 Commanding Officer

Dear Families and Friends of First Battalion, Sixth Marines,

I know everyone is getting anxious about the talk of extending troops in Iraq. I have always been honest and up front with you and provided you with dates and information. This time is no exception. What I can tell you is that "right now" anything you have heard about our battalion being extended is speculation and/or rumor. Nothing has been communicated officially or unofficially to us about a change to our deployment. If and when it does, you can make sure I will pass the information.

Let me again reassure you that your loved ones are doing a tremendous job over here. I am amazed everyday at their courage and commitment. Progress is most definitely being made in the area we are responsible for and these Marines have much to be proud of.

Please know your continued support is crucial to our mission. I ask that you remind your loved one to stay focused these last few months. Everyday is game day and I need their head 100% focused on the mission at hand. Block leave dates, homecoming flight windows, and Hawaiian vacations can't be their focus while walking the streets on patrol and providing security for each other. I know you understand this and I want to thank you for helping all of us maintain this most important focus.

Again, thank you for your support of our 1/6 HARD Marines and Sailors.

In your service,W. M. Jurney
Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Marine Corps
Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion 6th Marines

No comments: