Monday, April 16, 2007

A letter to the 1/6 family and friends from the Chaplain

Dear spouses, parents, grandparents, former members, and friends of 1/6,

Well another month closer to our return. As I travel about the city, I see these guys doing great stuff to help the good people of Iraq lay a foundation for the future of their children. How exciting and rewarding. Yes we have had some tough times our here, but no kidding the good we have done will have us leaving here proud.

This past Sunday was Easter Sunday. I encouraged those present at services to not only believe in God, believe in Jesus, but to see that the whole Easter event had everything to do with each one of us. Like an old oak tree in the middle of a field of wild flowers that embraces the initials of so many who had fallen in love, so does the cross embrace all of us. We have all had our names inscribed in the tree of life by a God who calls us his children.

As the sun came up and shined light on you all back home, so did it also shine light on us and the good people of Iraq. As we celebrate the rising of God’s Son, who also shines light on the whole world, let us be filled with joy in this new life.

With hearts filled with the love of our savior, a fresh spring, and a home coming we are set up for success and a wonderful summer. Be patient and strong, encourage us to remain diligent and steadfast in our mission right up to our last day.

One of my favorite pieces of advice is from my father who said to me when I was at a past job, “work the next three months as though you are there for six” Be surprised by the last day” These words have helped me in the past and I will certainly use them now.

We miss you all very much, Sara start making the ricotta cheese, I’m getting hungry.

Sincerely
Chaplain Jamie Stall-Ryan.
StallryanJJ@mnf-wiraq.usmc.mil

No comments: